Friday 30 July 2010

Angie's July exercises



We were encouraged to work outside an area of comfort this month. I have always found it hard to applique shapes, so used this session to be a little experimental (for me!) with complex applique shapes.
I used "Bondaweb" and stuck it to the reverse of one fabric, and drew out the shape I wanted to applique. Then cut it out and stuck it down on the background fabric. Then I used a straight, free machine stitch and echoed the shape of the piece, extending and cutting inside the shape to anchor it down.
I was then interested in the negative shape left once I had cut out the applique shape. Putting a contrasting fabric behind it, I then stitched both layers to the background. I love the free, organic shapes created and will, I think use this idea for the August JQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment