Saturday 17 August 2013

Frances Pickering Workshop pt 2

Day two was really busy especially for me as I had to leave early to be ready to drive off to France the next day!
The pages we had pained last night now had to be ironed completely dry and fitted back inside each other exactly as they had been folded.
We were shown how to make cords and with two low tech devices it was made so much simpler!  A weight with a hook and a swivel. Having the right tools really does make a difference. These were then positioned where we needed them  so that they would be trapped between the layers.
The spent A4 paper we had painted with transfer dyes was then painted with acrylic wax and dried before being bondawebbed to the reverse of the cover made yesterday.
We were shown how to prepare the pages and stitch then into the cover too.





The photo also shows the way that the dye takes to the edges of the paper even better than the flat surfaces giving a great effect.
Suitable buttons found to create a closing and a bookmark added - Job done!
My fellow students were then able to begin to decorate the pages, choosing a theme for them and drawing and colouring them to beautiful effect.


I was thrilled to get a set of the Derwent Coloursoft crayons for my birthday as they work so well on fabric, Lutrador and on vilene and cartridge paper, very versatile and wonderful deep colours.
I now need to think about how I use my little book and with enough materials to make a second see if I have learnt enough to make a good personal piece with time to work on it.
I'm looking forward to our September Embroiderers' meeting to seeing everyone elses finishes pieces.





No comments:

Post a Comment