Sunday 18 April 2010

Inspiration


I spent yesterday in London, at the AGM of the Contemporary Quilt Group. It was lovely to be able to put faces to the names, whose words of wisdom I have so enjoyed reading. Very august company and a really dynamic group of textile artists. I feel inspired to keep up my work even though I feel that it is still routed in the traditions. My lack of a proper art education really shows now, I think it inhibits me sometimes and prevents serious preparation work as in the brilliant sketchbooks I see others produce.
The afternoon was the most interesting illustrated talk by Anne Smith whose quilt,"Catherine Wheel" was entered for Quilt National in 1995. Her quilts are fabric paintings and are exiting and vibrant. I love the fact that she uses "used" fabrics, reclaimed from charity shops and jumble sales. It gives her work a softer quality. She is an excellent speaker, full of anecdote and wisdom and insight into the way she works. I was so pleased to have this chance to see her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment