Wednesday 7 November 2012

More stitching.....

To-day I have been "playing", at least that is what it has felt like. A whole day given over to stitch - such a luxury.
We started by playing with colour and adding colour to fabric that we would then stitch into. Koh-I-Noor paint dyes provided a fabulous way of painting directly onto fabric, with paper beneath I was able to get a fabric and a painted paper for one lot of effort.
This was what was on the paper which I added to with Inktense pencils.

When dry I scrunched the paper up repeatedly to soften it and to create a textured surface. It began to feel more like a fabric than paper and with iron-on Vilene on the back it should be robust enough to take stitch which  I'm now ready to do.
I also used up all the paint left on my palette just daubing it over a sheet of paper. Not very interesting - but scrunched the texture was interesting, but with acrylic wax applied on the surface I have a really exciting canvas to stitch on. Vilene on the back too to provide stability.
My painted fabric was then used to try out Sorbello Stitch, a simple but effective stitch capable of being used linearly and in blocks.
Now I'm going to see what I can do with my new paper fabric.
I am amazed that although I have been stitching in some form since about 8/9 I can still find so many new and exiting techniques to try.

1 comment:

  1. I love stitching with paper! Careful - it can be addictive (but then I guess that is what your blog is all about!)

    ReplyDelete