Wednesday 4 February 2015

A strong African connection.

Months ago now, I was lucky to find some gorgeous fabrics in The African Fabric Shop both at Festival and at The Big Textile Show in Leicester. For the last three years I have managed to create a quilt each year from Maggie Relph's collection. I have a strong affinity for artefacts African, on the back of a number of trips to Tanzania, Kenya, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia and Botswana. I love the quality of the light, the riot of colours, the slight atmosphere of danger and the amazing physical environment. Two out of the last three quilts have come from fabric created by Esther. I love her use of colour and pattern and the strong abstraction of her fabrics. I have two lengths of her fabric waiting for me to work on and a third length fron The Gambia created by Nene Jallow. 
These fabrics shine, they are art cloths and I really want to do them justice.
Here they are:


Esther 


Esther


Nene Jallow

The latter two I'm proposing are created as whole cloth quilts. The fabric so stunning, I'm considering whether to enter for Festival as a two person quilt, with Esther and Nene as the second quilter.



No comments:

Post a Comment