Still working on ways of achieving the very abstract shapes I want to use on my next piece. I've been concentrating on how I attach shapes to a background which will be constructed of large pieces joined in an irregular way. Traditional piecing will not do.
I have looked at a version of reverse appliqué, with machine stitched edges, on a very loosely woven fabric. It works very much better than appliquéing it to the surface.
I have some lovely silks which have just the right depth of colour and sheen, but fray really badly, so I've tried the same technique with these as well.
I found some lovely Stef Frances dyed felt, its far too nice to experiment with but I have have substituted some plain felt for my samples.
I have also taken the plunge and bought some Oakshotts fabric for the background. Now I need to draw it all out to size and get on with it!